Prior we start discussing the Differences Between a Fully Managed Server and a Self-Managed Server/Unmanaged Server, let’s learn about what is Server management?
Server management can be defined as the tasks and services that are done on a server in order to manage a server. This includes the monitoring of the basic services that are running on the server with overall monitoring of the server. Checking their status, uptime, and monitoring for any new or recurring issues and acts as per the issues to resolve them.
Fully Managed Server means the server and its services (Exim, web server, email, etc. that are managed through the cPanel/Plesk, etc or may have a different type of service agreement that comes using the service that you are subscribing with the service provider) will be managed by the service provider so that the user does not have to worry about the technical matter behind running a server.
What Fully Managed Server Management Includes at XeonBD: Fully managed support means that we will do our best to provide assistance with just about any issue or configuration request you may have with your server outside of custom software/script installations (ex: FFmpeg+Mplayer+MEncoder). Some examples of things covered by our fully managed support may include but are not limited to:
- PCI compliance modifications.
- Load problems or sluggishness.
- Network-related issues.
- Failure of the server to boot.
- Hardware failures
- Package installations via a package manager (yum, RPM).
- DNS Configuration
- Troubleshooting script configurations and/or website errors. *
- Task automation.
- Firewall setup & troubleshooting.
- E-mail configuration.
- Software upgrades & migrations. (PHP, MySQL).
- Custom Apache configurations (mod_python, mod_ruby, mod_wsgi)
- Perl/PECL module/extension installations.
- Backup configurations.
- External Provider’s MX setups. etc. etc.
* As fully Managed server management doesn’t include any development agreement. So, the subscriber’s application layer monitoring/development request/application layer protection or patching for vulnerabilities or backdoor detection at the application layer isn’t covered under the fully managed server service agreement. For the application layer’s modifications/updates etc., user must have to address the matter to your application developer. Also, managed service doesn’t include any backup feature enabled by default. If you need a backup solution with managed service, please contact XeonBD’s sales to discuss the opportunities.
Unmanaged (Self-Managed) Server
The unmanaged server is also known as the Self-Managed server. A user who is subscribing to an Unmanaged (Self-Managed) Server, must need a thorough understanding of the Linux command line or the windows server administration experience, depending upon the type of OS they are going to use. In the Unmanaged (Self-Managed) Server arrangement, XeonBD provides the customer with the root access to the server in the case of Linux and Administrative (RDP) access in the case of Windows, and the rest of the server management is totally upon the user.
The service provider provides no maintenance or management for the server, and the server needs to be managed entirely by the users. The only thing the service provider is responsible for is the availability of a functional physical server. Some users prefer the higher levels of freedom offered by the self-managed server and choose them over fully managed servers. Users with technological savvy and experience should seriously consider self-managed VPSs
In a Self-Managed server, the customer has to make sure everything works the way they configure them and perform updates themselves. Obviously, an Unmanaged (Self-Managed) Server is not for a user who doesn’t have any experience in managing a server and it’s the most common choice for savvy and experienced server administrators. It is also not even a job for someone who does not comfortable managing services and scripts themselves. If in doubt, you should probably stick with Managed server products and focus, instead, on growing your business and optimizing your site.
At XeonBD we have both Managed Server and Self Managed/ Unmanaged server plans. If you are still confused about which one will be best for you, please contact our sales at +8809638750750 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org that team XeonBD can help you to choose the right plan for your need.