The most important point that should be looked into while starting a website is hosting platform and resource requirement. It is very important, which kind of hosting you opt for the website. There are different kinds of hosting plans with different features; you should choose the one which is much suitable for the website. Hosting can be on Shared environment / VPS environment.
Shared hosting is nothing but multiple websites of different customers are hosted on a server. If you have started a business and you are expecting minimum number of visitors then this is a better option. Also if you are thinking about the expenditure or if you have a limited investment for hosting then shared hosting is preferable as it is most economical.
Benefits of Shared Hosting:
- It is a very good option, if you have limited number of blogs and small websites as it is easy to maintain.
- It is economical.
- Technical maintenance is not required.
Drawbacks of Shared Hosting:
- It has of limited resources.
- Resources allocated to the server are shared among all the websites.
- There is a slight chance of your website getting affected, if any other site hosted on the same server has some malicious content. This can happen only if server doesn’t hold required security software.
- If your website require any specific application or specific files then it may not be possible, as you need to go with resources allocated.
Virtual Private Server Hosting is like customising accordingly as per your conditions/requirements. Companies, who are working on multiple websites or the applications they hold require high/dedicated server resources and with limited budget, would go for VPS service. If the website is dealing with high security content and planning to host multiple blogs or sites then VPS Hosting is preferable. Also, if business is expanding and expecting a huge traffic for the website over some time then VPS Hosting can be opted.
Benefits of VPS Hosting:
- Can opt for required space and bandwidth as per your requirement; and the resources opted are not shared with other customers websites/applications.
- You can manage the VPS server, installed applications and services on your own.
- As per your requirement, you can install and manage any third party applications.
- You can have the backup at any point of time.
Drawbacks of VPS Hosting:
- You need to have technical knowledge to manage the server and the installed applications.
- Unlike shared hosting, cost is bit higher.
When should you upgrade Shared Hosting to VPS Hosting?
You can choose to upgrade from shared hosting to VPS hosting under following reasons:
- If you wish to expand your business or want to start a big business. Planning to host more blogs and sites.
- If you wish to have the whole control of the site and the server.
- If you want dedicated resources allocated for your website or applications, but cannot afford the expense of your own server.
Conclusion: If your website is small and hosts limited number of blogs and traffic is low then shared hosting is advisable. But if you want a high security, good performance then VPS Hosting is advisable.